Thursday, December 1, 2011

Running chrome on multiple displays

By display here I mean $DISPLAY not multiple monitors.

I often leave Chrome running at work (on a ton of virtual desktops with a ton of tabs) and then get home and need to log into work (via VPN + NX) in order to check on things.  It's frustrated me that if I try to run chrome in the NX session then it appears on my screen at work rather than in the NX session.  Well, who would have thought that reading the man page would solve the frustration?  This method sets up a new profile, so you loose all  your bookmarks and settings, but that's ok for occasional use I think
/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=<dir>
Where <dir> is a dir of your choosing. The default for chrome is ~/.config/google-chrome/. So I've been using ~/.config/google-chrome/nx. Phew, friction resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment