Tuesday, November 19, 2013

ShrewSoft VPN Manager window does not show under 64Bit Windows 7

I'm using version 2.2.2 of the ShrewSoft VPN client on my 64bit Win7 laptop. For some reason, the 'Manage' window doesn't show in this version - which bit me when my VPN details changed. The .pcf configuration files aren't re-read if you edit them and so you have to have access to the 'manage' dialog in order to update your connection - you can't even add a connection without accessing this dialog.

So, the solution for me was actually quite simple -

  1. try to bring up the 'Manager' dialog (right click the ShreSoft icon in the bottom right of the taskbar and click on 'Manage')
  2. bring up the task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc is a handy short-cut for that) - the VPN manager should be present in the "Applications" window
  3. right click this and select 'maximize'
It might not be pretty, but at least it's now accessible.

7 comments:

  1. I had the same problem ... thank you for this post. Eventually I realized that the manager window was on a different screen - I was docked and using three screens at one time, but when I'm undocked the manager isn't visible if I've moved it to another screen. The solution is to move the manager windows (if you choose the manager from the tray icon, click on alt+space, and then choose "move", the windows can be moved with the arrow keys).

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg thank you so much! this helped a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh you are a life saver, even almost a decade after your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete