Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Ergotron Workfit-S - fix for reduction in range of motion

I've been using one of these Ergotron standing desks for a few years now: Ergotron WorkFit-S 33-341-200 . The maximum height it'd raise to has reduced over time; it took me a while to realize it as this was quite a slow process.

It turns out the fix is really simple. I found this entry in the Ergotron forums: WorkFit-S Dual Maximum height.

The main point is in the second comment (a reply from an Ergotron tech):

One thing that you can try is "resetting" the WorkFit-S. To do this, lower it with one hand on the handle & one hand on the workstation surface - when it gets to the low point, push on the workstation surface a little bit - you should hear the sound of the desk "reset". Afterwards, you should be able to have the full range of motion that you had before.

This worked well for me - at least after I realized the 'workstation surface' was really anywhere on the movable arm (my Ergotron doesn't have a workstation surface). I had to press quite hard, the arm moved further down than it's base resting position and then had the full range of motion back. This meant that standing was comfortable again (before, my arms were bent as the keyboard tray was too low).

7 comments:

  1. This is lifesaving! Thank you so much for sharing this tip. No idea why Ergotron doesn't put this in the instructions manual.

    I had not realized that my WorkFit-S had lost its maximum height until I started having neck pain from looking down at the monitors for too long. I initially thought there was something stuck in the rails but a quick google search brought me here and now I can position the monitors at the correct height again!

    PS: If you have a cryptocurrency address post it here. I'd like to buy you a beer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This just saved us hours of research and waiting until Monday / business hours to call Ergotron. Thank you so much for sharing this! Worked like a charm! And yes, why oh why does Ergotron NOT have this in the user manual or FAQ on their website??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Workfit-S Dual w/worksurface and, in contrast to the above, has lost its minimum height where the keyboard tray portion did not lower beyond the desktop surface it was mounted on. I did have to push down a little hard on the worksurface close to the sliding mechanism or arm attachment to make it release. Thanks to Paul & this post I have my neck & shoulders again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really life saver!! I didn't notice this problem until my wrist started to pain and my workfit warranty expired. This post helps a huge lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy I found this, I just did the same as the others have commented once I realized where to push...basically right under the monitors on the worksurface very near where it slides up and down. You can feel it sliding down rather hard and when it bottoms out you have the range of motion back. So much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also note, you can do the same in the up direction to get even more height if you're tall like me. Just raise till it hits the stop then push up from underneath the worksurface near where it slides and if there is room for it to move up further it'll move up to max. height. This restriction happened so slowly over time I had not realized that I was slouching gradually when I thought it was at full height.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this hack! My desk keeps getting stuck. I tried adjusting it with tools, having people more mechanically inclined than me look at it, and even replacing it with a new one (giving the other to a shorter colleague). This fix worked for me this morning! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete